Thursday, January 30, 2014

Marijuana Legalization

The Washington Times says that Senator Rand Paul, Gov. Chris Christie, and Gov. Rick Perry are leading the way to a Republican platform which would legalize marijuana.
I agree with the proposal.
Any federal law which restricts a person from taking into his body any substance he desires, is an infringement of personal liberties.
Conditional to that, I now have no respect for persons who use drugs or other substances, which inhibit their performance and responsibilities as citizens. I will maintain that view with respect to use of alcohol, any performance-enhancing substances, excess of painkillers, and recreational substances. In addition to alcohol, these would include anything which is generally accepted as addictive. Examples would be all opiates, such as heroine, codeine, or hydrocodone, and methamphetamine, and marijuana.
Persons who use these substances do not qualify as employable by me, nor qualify as my friends. In effect I have no contact, nor will I have any contact, with such persons to either rehabilitate them or work with them in any way.
While this is my personal position on the subject, I also feel that there are ramifications to the legalization of marijuana and any of the other drugs mentioned above. That is, persons who use these drugs and become subsequently addicted should not qualify for taxpayer funding in order to go through a rehabilitation program. Since they would have put themselves into this position by own volition, they can get out by themselves or suffer the consequences of continued addiction. The consequences of addiction are generally well-known to the public, through personal experience with acquaintances, family members, the news media, and movies.
Persons who want to move in this direction for their own reasons and subsequently develop great difficulty will obtain no help from me personally, or if I can avoid it, as a taxpayer. They will only receive my disgust and ridicule.

No comments:

Post a Comment