Thursday, August 22, 2013

War Versus Sporting Events

    When Pres. Obama said that any group using chemical weapons would suffer severe consequences, he automatically set up a race to see who could first put the blame on the other side for chemical weapon use. That in turn would force the US to support the so-called underdog.
    That is exactly what is now occurring in Syria.. There is no certainty whether the Asaad regime or the rebels are actually using chemical weapons. Is the Asaad regime trying to set up blame on the rebels, so that it will obtain support of the US or are the rebels actually using chemical weapons in an attempt to blame the Asaad regime?
    This brings up the matter of chemicals, as weapons of war. As a chemist, I know and respect the potency of various chemicals with respect to physiological action on human beings. However, as my son points out, most people are not chemists and have an inherent fear of chemicals, because of their general lack of knowledge on the subject. This situation has persisted for quite a long time. and in fact shortly after World War I, it was the basis on which the major nations of the world agreed to the banning of chemical weapons in war.
    My point of view is that whether one kills people with chemicals, bullets in the heart, or blowing them to pieces with conventional explosives or atom bombs. it is all the same. War has only one intent. Kill the enemy. Patton was right about that.
    But most people apparently liken war to a sporting event, where we need certain rules. In boxing, the opponents must wear boxing gloves. In wrestling, one can't use certain headlock's. In Roman days, gladiators presumably went free, if they were able to kill their opponents in the presence of a huge audience.
    `I suppose I'm mostly by myself on the matter of war. No rules! During World War II, I helped produce the atomic bomb. I didn't personally drop two of them on Japan, but I was glad to be part of it. Do I feel sorry for the thousands of Japanese that were killed? I do. But, they were trying to kill my fellow Americans and me. Would I use an atomic bomb again on people trying to kill me. You betcha!

No comments:

Post a Comment