Saturday, August 24, 2013

Texas Voting

    The Washington Times says that US Atty. Gen. Holder has filed suit yesterday in federal court against the State of Texas. I couldn't determine in which court the suit was filed. It is said that the U.S. government will contend that Texas adopted a voter identification law with the purpose of denying or restricting voters' rights based on race, color or membership in a language minority group. More specifically, Atty. Gen. Holder is concerned that the State has redrawn its congressional district maps and passed a voter-ID law..
    I am pleased that Atty. Gen. Holder filed this suit, because without appropriate defense or rebuttal from the State of Texas on the accusation, it is implied that Atty. Gen. Holder is correct in his assertion.
The Fifteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the federal and state governments from denying a citizen the right to vote based on that citizen's "race, color, or previous condition of servitude". Notice that it says CITIZEN, which indicates that the federal or state governments have a responsibility to determine that an intended voter is a true citizen. This would clearly eliminate consideration of any voting of illegal aliens.
We then come down to whether an intended voter has a bona fide restriction in claiming he is a citizen and proving who he says he is by photo ID. I came to Texas 16 years ago and have a Voter Identification Card. I don't remember how I received the card, but every time I wish to vote, I have no problems. I show my Voter Identification Card and my Drivers License with photo
What if I now didn't have a voter identification card? I went to http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/pamphlets/largepamp.shtml. That document says I can register to vote if I am:
A United States citizen;
A resident of the Texas county in which application for registration is made;
At least 18 years old on Election Day;
Not finally convicted of a felony, or, if so convicted must have (1) fully discharged the sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a period of probation ordered by any court; or (2) been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote; and
Not determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be (1) totally mentally incapacitated; or (2) partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
From the above, I determine that I can register. How I do that?
The document says, "Registering to vote is easy in Texas.  It doesn't even require a stamp!  Official applications to register to vote are postage-paid by the State of Texas."
Fine, but what must I do?
The document says I can go to the County Voter Registrar's Office (address is probably in the phone book), post office, or high school to obtain an application. I also found that I can receive an application from https://webservices.sos.state.tx.us/vrapp/index.asp.
I requested the application by including information that I did not have a drivers license nor a Social Security number. I did claim to be a US citizen.
The application was printed out for me with information that I should sign and mail it to the Registrar of Voters at the address given. I had to claim that I was US citizen and a resident of the county. I was warned that giving false information on the application may result in fine and imprisonment. I was not asked for a birth certificate or passport. Presumably, if I mailed the signed form, I would receive my voter registration card.
But I also had noticed that in addition to my voter registration card, I would also need a photo ID to be able to vote at the voting booth. Since I didn't have a drivers license with my photo, what to do next?
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/electionID.htm tells me that I can get a photo ID as an Election Identification Certificate (EIC).
I downloaded the EIC application form from the above website and filled out the form. I had to answer several questions, but did not have to submit any other documents. The form required notarization, but I could have gotten that at my bank. I was supposed to take the completed application to the motor vehicle Bureau, where they would presumably take my picture and give me the EIC.
I was then set to vote, without having a drivers license, a Social Security number or presentation of a birth certificate or passport. The procedure was a bit complex, but I made it especially difficult by not having a drivers license or a Social Security number, which is usually unrealistic for most US citizens. "Low information voters" might have a little difficulty going through this procedure, but there are always people who will help.
Let's see what the US Justice Department can do in federal court on castigating the Texas voting procedure.

No comments:

Post a Comment