Monday, July 11, 2011

Banning Incandescent Light Bulbs

Open letter to Rep. Neugebauer:

Randy,

The House approved an energy independence bill in 2007 and it became the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007.

Among other things, the bill requires roughly 25 percent greater efficiency for light bulbs, phased in from 2012 through 2014. This effectively bans the sale of most current incandescent light bulbs. More simply, I will not be able to purchase an incandescent light bulb next year.

My major concern is that Congress had no business banning incandescent balls. It encroaches on my personal liberty of what I can or cannot purchase. The bill should not have become law in the first place, but now that it has, I depend on the House to repeal at least the section on promoting fluorescent light bulbs by banning incandescent light bulbs.

Randy, I depend on you to get rid of this provision in the 2007 Act that encroaches on my personal freedom. I understand this matter may be coming up for a vote in the House this week, and I expect you to take appropriate action not only in casting your vote but in convincing others to vote as you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment