Thursday, May 23, 2013

Immigration Reform

Open email to Sen. Cornyn (Texas):

Dear Sen. Cornyn,
    Thank you for your form letter on immigration reform.
    I agree with the principle you covered in your form letter, and I also checked your website, as you had suggested.    
    I found your comments on Senate immigration bill S. 744, which passed the Senate on May 21. I also checked on each of your amendment proposals. The closest that I could find of significance was your amendment concerning special southern border control, which was apparently rejected by the Senate. Your other amendments seemed to me relatively insignificant.
    As I've said many times, it is not so much a matter of how a law is formulated, but how it is subsequently enforced. If the Senate immigration bill eventually becomes law and you subsequently find that it is not doing the job required for the American public, there is always an opportunity of subsequent amendment to that law.
    I've not read the whole Senate bill, but the mere fact that Sen. Schumer was involved tends to make me question whether it will accomplish much for the US. However, we have also had the involvement of Sen. Marco Rubio and even the somewhat questionable assistance of Sen. McCain. The likelihood is that it should not be too bad.
    Since the Senate has already apparently voted on the bill, the next step will be resolution of differences between it and the House version and final approval by Pres. Obama. Let's see how works out and hope that we don't have another Obamacare on our hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment