Saturday, October 1, 2011

Hooray for Rep. Cantor Opposing 10 New Environmental Regulations

The September 5 issue of Chemical and Engineering News has an interesting article entitled, "Politics: House Republicans Plan to Continue Anti-Regulation Push".

There are two aspects.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor singled out 10 proposed environmental labor and health regulations, which he promised to block! It's not that some of these intended environmental regulations would not be helpful in some aspects, but the main point is that we can't afford them.

The second aspect is that it is claimed political studies show that conformity to these regulations would be job neutral or positive. Looking at spending of paper mills, plastic manufacturers, petroleum refineries and steel mills, researchers at an environmental group found that meeting environmental regulations is labor-intensive resulting in a net gain of 1.5 to 6.9 jobs per $1 million primarily for air pollution reductions.

This is a ridiculous set of numbers to even present, because it is obvious that in the spending of $1 million by any of these 90 factoring companies, they have to recoup those expenses by increasing the prices of their products, which then makes them noncompetitive on a worldwide basis.Sooner or later they will be out of business.

In a fictitious analogy, I just bought 100-pound pack of sophisticated air quality measuring devices for my woodworking plant. I spent $50,000, and I have to carry it around on my back. I think we're improving the air quality, but I have to increase the price of my products so that I can recoup the $50,000, and I am also so tired from carrying around the equipment that I can't really get any production.

No comments:

Post a Comment